Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Crostini
From Patti Hamilton, Barred Owl Creamery at Hamilton Farm
Serves 4 – 6 Prep Time: 45 min Cook Time: 1 hr 05 min
1 large beet, scrubbed
1 small glove garlic, minced fine
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces Barred Owl Creamery chevre, softened
10 – 12 baguette slices, toasted
1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2 Wrap beet in aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 55 – 65 minutes or until a fork slides easily into the center. Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes.
3 When cool enough to touch, use a paper towel to gently rub off the peel. Cool completely, about 10 minutes.
4 Once beet is cool, dice into small pieces. You should have about 1 cup.
5 Combine garlic, parsley, olive oil, vinegar, salt and roasted beets together in a bowl. Mix well. Allow to set at room temperature for 30 minutes.
6 To make a crostini, spread goat cheese on toasted baguette slice and spoon beet mixture on top. Repeat until all ingredients are used. Serve.
7. Suggestions ~ use different colored beets to make the dish more colorful. Also try different flavors of chevre (herb, plain, chive, cracked three pepper blend)
Watermelon Feta Skewers
Contributed by Patti Hamilton, Barred Owl Creamery at Hamilton Farm
An easy and healthy appetizer perfect for summer celebrations.
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 24 skewers
• 24 cubes watermelon
• 24 cubes feta
• 24 miniature mint leaves
• 3 tbsp. balsamic glaze (optional)
1. Skewer watermelon, feta, and mint together with miniature skewer sticks. Leave plain or drizzle with balsamic.
Asparagus sformati – Italian savory souffle
From AllisonLakin, Lakin’s Gorges Cheese at East Forty Farm
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 pounds asparagus
2 Tbls butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup coarsely grated Lakin’s Gorges Morgan
3/4 cup Lakin’ s Gorges Basket Ricotta
1/4 cup flour
1. Grease and lightly coat with breadcrumbs, 12 ramekins or muffin tins. But may only yield 10
2. Cook asparagus in boiling water for about 3 minutes, until tender. Drain liquid, reserving 1 cup for step 6.
3. Coarsely chop stalks, reserving 12 tips for the tops of the finished product.
4. Saute onions until tender.
5. Puree onions and asparagus.
6. In a large bowl, combine pureed vegetables with Basket Ricotta, Morgan and flour. Season to taste. If mixture is not smooth, incorporate asparagus cooking liquid by Tablespoon until smooth.
7. Whisk eggs thoroughly and combine with mixture from step 6.
8. Fill ramekins, or muffin tins, with 1/2 cup of mixture. Top with asparagus tips.
9. Bake until set in a 350 degree oven, about 25 minutes, until lightly browned and the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted.
NOTE: if you have a food processor, add ingredients in order and process between every addition and no cooking liquid will be required.