Asparagus sformati – Italian savory souffle
From AllisonLakin, Lakin’s Gorges Cheese at East Forty Farm
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 pounds asparagus
2 Tbls butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup coarsely grated Lakin’s Gorges Morgan
3/4 cup Lakin’ s Gorges Basket Ricotta
1/4 cup flour
1. Grease and lightly coat with breadcrumbs, 12 ramekins or muffin tins. But may only yield 10
2. Cook asparagus in boiling water for about 3 minutes, until tender. Drain liquid, reserving 1 cup for step 6.
3. Coarsely chop stalks, reserving 12 tips for the tops of the finished product.
4. Saute onions until tender.
5. Puree onions and asparagus.
6. In a large bowl, combine pureed vegetables with Basket Ricotta, Morgan and flour. Season to taste. If mixture is not smooth, incorporate asparagus cooking liquid by Tablespoon until smooth.
7. Whisk eggs thoroughly and combine with mixture from step 6.
8. Fill ramekins, or muffin tins, with 1/2 cup of mixture. Top with asparagus tips.
9. Bake until set in a 350 degree oven, about 25 minutes, until lightly browned and the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted.
NOTE: if you have a food processor, add ingredients in order and process between every addition and no cooking liquid will be required.